This beanie is the perfect hat for both men and women. A fun textured unisex slouchy style crochet hat pattern.
This is a hat design that I had worked up way over a year ago and for some reason I never wrote the pattern for it. But I guess now is the perfect time to publish it and share it with all of you!!
Each year around this time I always see people asking on various social media platforms about men’s crochet hat patterns. So, I figured that this hat design that was sitting around was perfect for a men’s crochet hat.
This is a slouchy style crochet hat. Meaning, it has a little extra length to it than a regular beanie may have.
This pattern also uses a worsted weight #4 yarn. This weight of yarn is a favorite of mine when it comes to creating hats.
↓ Pin this pattern for later! ↓
This specific design is worked bottom up. The band is worked first in rows and then joined. The body of the hat is worked in a continuous spiral round.
If you are looking for an easier crochet hat pattern then you will enjoy this one. The pattern only has a 2 round repeat with loads of interesting texture.
I am excited for the release of this pattern to be part of the November Winter Fashion Crochet Blog Hop hosted by Claire of E’Claire Makery. You can find the list to all of the featured patterns on her blog post HERE for each day in November 2019.
You can get an ad-free, print friendly PDF copy of this pattern:
Better Together Unisex Slouchy:
- Yarn: #4 Worsted Weight (155-175 yards) – Used in example 2 colors of HL I Love This Yarn; a suitable substitute would be Lion Brand Heartland
- Hook: US Size (H/8) 5.0mm crochet hook or size needed to obtain gauge
- Other Tools: Yarn Needle, Scissors, Stitch Marker
- 13 hdc sts x 8 rows = 4”
Stitches/Abbreviations: US Terms
- ch – chain
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- hdc – half double crochet
- sl st – slip stitch
- blo – back loop only
- 3rd loop of hdc – behind the front and back loop of the hdc there is another loop in which to work
- hdc2tog – half double crochet two stitches together
- Women’s Head Circumference (21-22.5”)
- Men’s Head Circumference (23-24”)
- The hat is crocheted from the band up and the band is crocheted in rows and the rest of the hat is crocheted in a continuous round.
- Crochet in back loop/ridge of beginning foundation chain.
- You can easily make this hat more of a custom fit by making the band shorter or longer and adding or subtracting from the number of stitches you place around the band in Round 1.
- The band used for this hat is a slip stitch ribbing but you can easily do a single crochet ribbing, just adjust the band length to meet the circumference you need.
Sizes are indicated as such within the pattern – Women’s, (Men’s)
Band: (both sizes)
Row 1: With color A, ch 8, sl st in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across, turn – 7 sts.
Row 2: Ch 1, in blo sl st in each st across, turn – 7 sts.
Repeat Row 2 until the band measures a length of 13, (14) inches unstretched. Adjust the length as you feel needed. This type of band is extremely stretchy.
Fold band together, ch 1, sl st band closed in the front loop of last row and back loop of the bottom of the first row. Keep right side out.
Round 1: Ch 1, hdc 68, (72) evenly around the band, do not join – 68, (72) sts. Attach color B to last st and fasten off A.
**From here on you will be crocheting in a continuous round. Because you are crocheting in a continuous round and not joining after each round you will need to place a stitch marker on the first st of each round.**
Round 2: Hdc in each st around – 68, (72) sts.
Round 3: Hdc in 3rd loop in each st around – 68, (72) sts.
Round 4: Hdc in blo in each st around – 68, (72) sts.
Rounds 5-18, (20): Repeat Rounds 3-4.
Round 19, (21): *Hdc in 3rd loop in next 2, hdc2tog in 3rd loop; repeat from * around – 51, (54) sts.
Round 20, (22): *Hdc in blo in next, hdc2tog in blo; repeat from * around – 34, (36) sts.
Round 21, (23): In both top loops hdc2tog around, join with a sl st to first st in that round – 17, (18) sts.
Fasten off leaving a long tail about 14 inches. Using your needle weave the tail in and out of the stitches of the last round, pull tight and securely weave in ends.
Don’t forget to add your project to Ravelry so I can see all of your amazing unisex beanies! While there I’d love for you to favorite this pattern by clicking the “heart – save in favorites” button.
Another crochet unisex beanie you may like is the Celestial Unisex Beanie.
*This pattern has been fully tested to ensure accuracy*
Copyright protected. You may not redistribute pattern after purchase or publish any part as your own including photos. If sharing online you must link back to this original post. You may sell finished products and if possible, reference back to this pattern and/or give credit to Simply Hooked by Janet as the original designer.