This textured beginner crochet earwarmer is bound to become a favorite!
I have always been a big fan of earwarmers. Mainly because I have never been a fan of wearing hats. Another reason being that there are many earwarmer designs that are beginner friendly and because of that I really enjoyed making them when I first started out crocheting many years ago.
I am a little surprised that I have only designed 1 earwarmer in my 3 years of designing crochet patterns! This one here will be my second.
↓ Pin this pattern for later! ↓
Now lets talk design. This earwarmer uses only 2 simple stitches to create a unique ribbing look. Working in the back loop only in these stitches makes for this design to be very stretchy which I like when it comes to some crochet headwear. Sizing is also very easy to adjust for since this is worked in rows and then seamed rather than worked in the round.
How about yarn used? This pattern calls for a weight #5 bulky yarn. As with many yarns in all of the weights not every yarn in the same weight category is created equal. If substituting you can check gauge and adjust hook size if needed. Just keep in mind that a different bulky yarn may give you a slightly different width and you may need to work more or less rows of the repeat but the outcome will still be a beautiful and Simple Earwarmer!
If you love textured crochet head-wear then you may also love the Winding Ridges Bun Hat. Find the free crochet pattern HERE.
Keep It Simple Earwarmer Pattern:
You can get an ad-free PDF copy of this pattern here:
- Yarn: #5 Bulky Weight – Red Heart Soft Essentials (40-100 yards); Red Heart Hygge is a good substitute.
- Hook: US Size (K/10.5) 6.5mm crochet hook (or size needed to obtain gauge.
- Other Tools: Yarn needle, scissors
- 9 sc x 10 rows = 4″ (view my FREE resource all about Gauge HERE)
Stitches/Abbreviations: US Terms
- ch – chain
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- sc – single crochet
- sl st – slip stitch
- blo – back loop only
- Toddler Head Circumference (19”-20”)
- Child Head Circumference (21”)
- Adult Regular Head Circumference (21.5-22.5”)
- Adult Large Head Circumference (23”-24”)
- This design is worked in rows and then sewed together.
- The beginning ch 1 does not count as a stitch.
- Always work your first stitch of a row in the same stitch as the turning ch 1.
- This design is worked in the back loop only.
- Work your first row in the back bar/ridge of the foundation chain.
Instructions: Toddler, (Child, Adult Regular, Adult Large)
Ch 12, (13, 14, 14).
Row 1: Sl st in 2nd ch from hook and in next 2, sc in next 5, (6, 7, 7), sl st in last 3 chs, turn – 11, (12, 13, 13) sts.
Row 2: (Working in the blo from here on), ch 1, sl st in next 3, sc in next 5, (6, 7, 7), sl st in next 3, turn – 11, (12, 13, 13) sts.
Rows 3-44 (48, 52, 56): Repeat Row 2 – 11, (12, 13, 13) sts.
*You can always adjust the circumference by adding more or less repeats of Row 2. This earwarmer is very stretchy. *
Seam: Fold earwarmer so that the last row and the first row come together. Ch 1, in front loop of last row and back loop of first row sl st the 2 rows together. Fasten off and weave in ends.
SHARE ON SOCIAL MEDIA! When sharing your earwarmer projects on social media be sure to use the hashtags #simplyhookedbyjanet & #keepitsimpleearwarmer
*This pattern has been fully tested to ensure accuracy*
Copyright protected. You may not redistribute pattern after purchase or publish any part as your own including photos. If sharing online you must link back to this original post. You may sell finished products and if possible, reference back to this pattern and/or give credit to Simply Hooked by Janet as the original designer.