I think a lot of Mom’s love receiving thoughtful handmade gifts and Mom’s love giving handmade gifts as well. This Mom Cup Cozy crochet pattern is not only a nice handmade gift but it is also a useful gift.
Crochet cup cozies can be used on to-go ups from various coffee shops or they can even be used at home on certain plastic or glass cups if you want to enjoy a cold drink such as a homemade milkshake or smoothie.
Mom Cup Cozy Pattern Details:
Knowledge of tapestry crochet is highly recommended for this design. But there are notes within the pattern that are helpful to those who are somewhat unfamiliar with this crochet technique. The pattern does include written instructions for each round as well as a graph that can be followed.
I think that the color combinations for this design are endless. Use a solid yarn for the main color and a variegated color yarn for the lettering or just stick with using one of your mom’s favorite colors for the main color.
↓ Pin this pattern for later! ↓
As with anything that might involve liquid or condensation with crochet items I love using cotton yarn. These examples use I Love This Yarn from Hobby Lobby. Other cotton yarn suggestions could be Premier Home Cotton or possibly Lily Sugar N’ Cream Cotton.
Construction and Techniques used:
This crochet colorwork cup cozy pattern is worked in rounds from the bottom up.
Each round will be worked in the back loop only using single crochet stitches. You must be familiar with how to do color changes for colorwork.
- 2 colors of #4 Worsted Weight Cotton: Used in example – Hobby Lobby I Love This Cotton; Other suggestion: Premier Home Cotton Solids (A) Main Color; (B) Accent Color
- US Size (G/6) 4.00mm crochet hook (adjust hook size if needed)
- Yarn needle, Scissors
- Finished measurement laying flat: 3 – 3 ¼ inches tall by 4 ¼ – 4 ½ wide.
Stitches/Abbreviations: US Terms
- ch – chain
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- sl st – slip stitch
- sc – single crochet
- blo – back loop only
- Knowledge of tapestry crochet is highly recommended.
- Crochet in back loop/ridge of beginning foundation chain.
- The inactive yarn is carried throughout the cozy under the active yarn stitches.
- Do not pull the yarn too tight that is carried inside the stitches.
- Ch 1 does not count as a stitch.
- You will join each round with a sl st to the first sc in that round. To start a new round, always sc in the stitch you joined to.
- This pattern is worked in the back loop only.
- The number of stitches of each color will be in parenthesis and every stitch is a single crochet.
- A graph is included at the end of the pattern if you prefer to follow that rather than the written instructions.
- When sharing on social media use the hashtag: #simplyhookedbyjanet
Considering purchasing the pdf of this pattern?
Purchase the low cost, ad-free, print friendly PDF:
Instructions Crochet Colorwork Mom Cup Cozy Pattern:
With A, ch 35, join.
Round 1: Ch 1, sc in each ch around, join – 35 sts here and throughout.
Round 2: Ch 1, in blo here and throughout, sc in each st around, join.
Round 3: Ch 1, A (6), B (1), A (5), B (1), A (4), B (1), A (4), B (1), A (5), B (1), A (6), join.
Round 4: Ch 1, A (6), B (1), A (5), B (1), A (3), B (3), A (3), B (1), A (5), B (1), A (6), join.
Round 5: Ch 1, A (6), B (1), A (5), B (1), A (2), B (5), A (2), B (1), A (5), B (1), A (6), join.
Round 6: Ch 1, A (6), B (1), A (2), B (1), A (2), B (1), A (1), B (7), A (1), B (1), A (2), B (1), A (2), B (1), A (6), join.
Round 7: Ch 1, A (6), B (1), A (1), B (1), A (1), B (1), A (1), B (1), A (1), B (7), A (1), B (1), A (1), B (1), A (1), B (1), A (1), B (1), A (6), join.
Round 8: Ch 1, A (6), B (2), A (3), B (2), A (1), B (3), A (1), B (3), A (1), B (2), A (3), B (2), A (6), join.
Round 9: Ch 1, A (6), B (1), A (5), B (1), A (2), B (1), A (3), B (1), A (2), B (1), A (5), B (1), A (6), join. Fasten off B.
Round 10: Ch 1, with A, sc in each st around, join.
Round 11: Repeat Round 10.
Fasten off, weave in ends!
If following the graph, start where the arrow indicates.
Each block represents a sc st and is worked in the blo.
Other Gift Ideas:
Tiny Hearts Cup Cozy Crochet Pattern
|Copyright protected. You may not redistribute pattern after purchase or after viewing on my website. You may not publish any part as your own including photos. If sharing online you must link back to this original post. You may sell finished products and if possible, reference back to this pattern and/or give credit to Simply Hooked by Janet as the original designer.|
9 thoughts on “Mom Cup Cozy Crochet Pattern Mothers Day Gift Idea”