Red, white and blue – the colors of the United States flag.
This is a free patriotic crochet cup cozy pattern that is a great make for Summer or for the fourth of July.
This is a quick crochet colorwork project. It uses 3 colors total but only 2 are used at a time in the various rounds. The red, white and blue for the USA is represented by the United States flag.
This project is an easier colorwork design but if you have never done colorwork before you may have a difficult time. This pattern is not a tutorial for crochet colorwork.
You will need to know a few things before beginning. You should know how to change colors properly and know how to work in the round.
You’ll also need to know how to work a foundation single crochet stitch, how to work in the back loop only and how to read and follow a graph.
I hope you enjoy this one!
You can find more FREE crochet patterns HERE.
↓ Pin this pattern for later! ↓
- Yarn: #4 Worsted Weight Cotton – I Love This Cotton in White, Royalty & Red
- Hook: US Size (F/5) 3.75 mm crochet hook – if you crochet tight you can go up a hook size.
- Other Tools: Yarn needle, Scissors
Stitches/Abbreviations: US Terms
- ch – chain
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- sl st – slip stitch
- sc – single crochet
- fsc – foundation single crochet
- blo – back loop only
- The inactive yarn is carried throughout the cozy under the active yarn stitches.
- Do not pull the yarn too tight that is carried inside the stitches.
- Ch 1 does not count as a stitch.
- The first single crochet of each round is always worked in the stitch you joined to.
- This pattern is worked in the back loop only.
INSTRUCTIONS – GRAPH:
Round 1: With Red, fsc 32, join to first st.
Ch 32, join to first ch, ch 1, sc in each around, join – if you want or need to make the circumference bigger just add more stitches to the foundation and work them before or after the letters in the graph.
Continuing with Round 2, follow each numbered round of the graph and remember that each block represents a sc st and you are working in the back loop only. Always ch 1 to start a new round and work in the same stitch you joined to.
Change colors according to the graph as you work. Start where the yellow arrow indicates.
Fasten off and weave in ends after last round.
Copyright protected. You may not redistribute pattern after purchase or publish any part as your own including photos. If sharing online you must link back to this original post. You may sell finished products and if possible, reference back to this pattern and/or give credit to Simply Hooked by Janet as the original designer.