How much do you love a super chunky crochet cowl??
This free crochet neck warmer pattern uses a super bulky weight yarn. That is what makes this cowl a chunky one.
This super chunky crochet cowl only uses 2 stitches throughout. The stitches are the single crochet stitch and the chain stitch. The combination of those 2 crochet stitches is called the Spider Stitch.
The Spider stitch is basically a V-stitch but instead of using double crochets it uses single crochets.
You can learn more about the Spider Stitch here.
The specific yarn used for this is called Tuff Puff yarn from We Crochet. It is a 100% wool single ply Super Bulky weight yarn. The color is called Snickerdoodle. 3 skeins are needed to make this crochet cowl.
If you substitute yarn then you may use a different amount of yardage. This specific yarn was on the very bulky side of a weight #6 yarn.
The yarn for this design was provided to me from We Crochet.
↓ Pin this pattern for later! ↓
- Yarn: 110 yards of #6 super bulky weight yarn – 3 skeins Knit Picks/WeCrochet Tuff Puff in Snickerdoodle or suitable substitute
- Hook: US Size (N/15) 10 mm crochet hook
- Other: Scissors, Yarn Needle, Shawl Pin or buttons that will fit through crochet stitches – Shawl Pin pictured in from WeCrochet
- 6 sc sts x 5.5 rows of pattern = 4”/10 cm
- One Size Adult 35”x 6.5”
Stitches/Abbreviations: US Terms
- ch – chain
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- sc – single crochet
- sk – skip
- sp – space
- This pattern is worked in the chain 1 spaces.
- Work as many row repeats as needed to get a custom fit.
- When sharing on social media use the hashtag: #simplyhookedbyjanet
You can get a print friendly, ad-free PDF copy of this pattern here:
This pattern is featured in a Winter Wonders Blog Hop. The blog hop runs from Nov. 1-Dec. 12 2021.
Instructions: Snickerdoodle Cowl
Row 1: (Sc, ch 1, sc) in second ch from hook, *sk 1, (sc, ch 1, sc) in next; repeat from * across, turn – 10 sc, 5 ch sps.
Rows 2-45: Ch 1, (sc, ch 1, sc) in each ch sp across, turn – 10 sc, 5 ch sps.
Use a shawl pin to secure in place when wearing or sew on 2 or 3 buttons that will fit through the spaces of the stitches.
Copyright protected. You may not redistribute pattern after purchase or after viewing on my website. You may not publish any part as your own including photos. If sharing online you must link back to this original post. You may sell finished products and if possible, reference back to this pattern and/or give credit to Simply Hooked by Janet as the original designer.