The one type of stitch that can add so much texture to a crochet project would be front post stitches. And nothing says cozy and fall more than some textured crochet stitches.
This crochet pattern is for an 8×8 inch crochet afghan square. The theme for this square is Cozy Fall.
About this crochet afghan square pattern
There are 2 different textures involved in this blanket square pattern.
The first texture is created with front post stitches. Specifically front post treble crochet stitches. The name of the stitch used within this crochet Afghan Square pattern is the Alpine Stitch.
The second texture found within this square pattern is created just by working the back loop only of a stitch across an entire row.
This crochet afghan square pattern is considered Intermediate level because of the various stitches used and special techniques.
Keep in mind that with this blanket square the stitch pattern is not reversible.
↓ Pin this pattern for later! ↓
- #4 Worsted Weight Yarn – 68 yards Lion Brand Heartland or Lion Brand Wool Ease or suitable substitute
- US Size (H/8) 5.0 mm crochet hook or size needed to obtain gauge
- Yarn needle, Scissors
- 8 x 8″ unblocked
Stitches/Abbreviations: US Terms
- ch – chain
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- blo – back loop only
- sc – single crochet
- dc – double crochet
- fptr – front post treble crochet
- Special Stitch:
- beginning double crochet (beg dc) = do not ch to start, sc in first st, sc in left vertical bar of sc just made (aka stacked single crochet)
- This is worked from the bottom up in rows and is not a reversible fabric.
- When sharing on social media use the hashtag: #simplyhookedbyjanet
This pattern is part of a charity MakeAlong happening all of October 2022. When purchasing a bundle of Cozy Fall Square Patterns, 30% will be donated to Cure Childhood Cancer.
Purchase a bundle of afghan square patterns or click the trifecta image below to grab the bundle with all 60 squares.
Find a new square each day on the main event page(s).
- CROCHET: https://knittingwithchopsticks.com/free-crochet-blanket-square-patterns/
- KNIT: https://knittingwithchopsticks.com/free-knit-blanket-square-patterns
- TUNISIAN: https://knittingwithchopsticks.com/free-tunisian-crochet-blanket-square-patterns/
Instructions – Alpine Rows Afghan Square:
Row 1: Sc in second ch from hook, sc in each across, turn – 26 sc.
Row 2: Ch 1, sc in first, sc in each across, turn – 6 sc.
Row 3: Beg dc, *fptr around next st 2 rows below, dc in next; repeat from * across to last, dc in last, turn –12 fptr, 14 dc.
Row 4: Ch 1, sc in first, sc in each across, turn – 26 sc.
Row 5: Beg dc, dc in next, *fptr around next st 2 rows below, dc in next; repeat from * across, turn – 12 fptr, 14 dc.
Row 6: Ch 1, sc in first, sc in each across, turn – 26 sc.
Row 7: Ch 1, sc in first, sc blo in each across to last, sc in last, turn – 26 sc.
Rows 8: Ch 1, sc in first, sc in each across, turn – 26 sc.
Rows 9-23: Repeat Rows 3-8 ending with a Row 5 repeat for the last Row.
Fasten off, weave in ends.
Copyright protected. You may not redistribute pattern after purchase or after viewing on my website. You may not publish any part as your own including photos. If sharing online you must link back to this original post. You may sell finished products and if possible, reference back to this pattern and/or give credit to Simply Hooked by Janet as the original designer.
2 thoughts on “Alpine Rows Afghan Square Free Crochet Pattern”
This square is gorgeous! Thank you for sharing your talent with us so we can make a beautiful square for a cozy afghan MAL.
Lovely Alpine square. Thank you for sharing it.