I have always wanted to create an over sized cowl where you can easily drape the cowl over your head like a hood. I have no idea why it has taken me so long to create one of my own!
↓ Pin this pattern for later! ↓
When it came to choosing a yarn type for this design it was pretty easy. But what was hard for me was in choosing specifically which yarn to put within the pattern materials. There were 2 yarns that I worked up samples with and both turned out to be perfect!
Because both yarns worked out so great with this design I decided to write the pattern with both in mind. One option has wool in the fiber and the other is a wool-free option for those who can’t work with or wear wool.
You’ll also love that this cowl can be made using just 1 skein of either of these yarns! Who doesn’t love a 1 skein project!?
This cowl also uses 1 stitch throughout but the placement of the stitches is what creates the Winding Ridges texture.
You can get an ad-free PDF copy of this pattern here:
WINDING RIDGES COWL:
- Yarn: #5 Bulky Weight (310 yards) – Used in example is Lion Brand Scarfie in Pink/Silver; Loops & Threads Barcelona is a very suitable substitute without wool
- Hook: US Size (L/11) 8.0mm
- Other Tools: Yarn Needle, Scissors
- 9 hdc x 6 rows – 4″ – adjust hook size if needed to meet gauge
Stitches/Abbreviations: US Terms
- ch – chain
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- hdc – half double crochet
- sl st – slip stitch
- 3rd loop of hdc – behind the front and back loop of the hdc there is another loop in which to work
- fhdc – foundation half double crochet
- This is worked from the bottom up and is worked in rounds
- The first row is created using foundation stitches rather than chains
- If you want to adjust the circumference larger or smaller just create a foundation that is in multiples of 6
- You will join each round with a sl st to the first st in that round and always work your first stitch of the new round in the same stitch as the join
Round 1: Fhdc 66, join to first st careful not to twist – 66 sts.
Ch 66, join to first chain, ch 1, hdc in each ch around, join. – 66 sts
Round 2: Ch 1, *hdc in next 3, 3rd loop hdc in next 3; repeat from * around, join in 3rd loop – 66 sts.
Round 3: Ch 1, *3rd loop hdc in next 3, hdc in next 3; repeat from * around, join – 66 sts.
Rounds 4-33: Repeat Rounds 2 & 3. You can always work more or less repeats to your liking.
Fasten off and weave in ends.
Don’t forget to add your project to Ravelry so I can see all of your amazing Cowls! While there I’d love for you to favorite this pattern by clicking the “heart – save in favorites” button.
Stay in the loop on any upcoming New Patterns and even Special Sales by subscribing to my email Newsletter. SUBSCRIBE HERE!
Copyright protected. You may not redistribute pattern after purchase or publish any part as your own including photos. If sharing online you must link back to this original post. You may sell finished products and if possible, reference back to this pattern and/or give credit to Simply Hooked by Janet as the original designer.