Are you ready to make yourself a nice warm textured crochet ear warmer!?
This style ear warmer is the third of its kind that I have made. It is worked as a long tube that creates the ear warmer.
I love this tube style headband because it creates a double layer of fabric. This double layer really helps create a warm ear warmer.
This is also my first time creating an ear warmer headband using a DK weight yarn. This weight keeps the headband from being too bulky.
If you have been following along with my crochet patterns for a length of time then this stitch pattern may look familiar.
This warm textured crochet earwarmer will be the 5th pattern that I have created using these set of stitches.
If you love this stitch pattern then check out the other patterns that use it as well:
Like the stitches used in this pattern? Then check out the Eternal Dawn Fingerless Gloves pattern and make a matching pair for your ear warmer.
↓ Pin this pattern for later! ↓
The yarn weight used for this project is a DK weight #3. I very rarely use a DK weight yarn for things such as headbands and hats.
But, this weight of yarn is what works well with this specific stitch and crochet ear warmer.
The yarn used is a hand dyed wool yarn from Tippy Tree Yarns. This specific one almost has a subtle tie dye feel to it. If you have a skein of hand dyed DK weight yarn then try it out with this pattern.
Let’s get started on making a warm textured crochet ear warmer.
- Yarn: 145 yards of #3 DK weight light worsted yarn – hand dyed wool from Tippy Tree Yarns was used in this sample
- Hook: US Size (G/7) 4.5 mm crochet hook
- Other: Yarn Needle, Scissors
- 12 hdc sts x 8 rows of pattern = 3”
- One Size Adult – 10 x 3.75” (circumference fit of 21-22.5”)
Stitches/Abbreviations: US Terms
- ch – chain
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- yo – yarn over
- sk – skip
- blo – back loop only
- hdc – half double crochet
- fhdc – foundation half double crochet
- hdc2tog – half double crochet 2 stitches together
- Special Stitch: mb (mini bean stitch) = insert hook in st, yo, pull through, yo, insert hook in st, yo, pull through, yo, pull through all 4 loops on hook, ch 1 to finish
- This is worked in the round from one end to the other creating a long tube.
- When joining to complete a round join to the first st in that round.
- Beginning chain does not count as a stitch.
- When starting a new round always work your first st in the same st as the join unless indicated otherwise.
- When sharing on social media use the hashtag: #simplyhookedbyjanet
You can get a print friendly, ad-free PDF copy of this pattern here:
Use the code GET1OFF at checkout for $1 off a pattern purchase.
Instructions: Eternal Dawn Crochet Ear Warmer
Round 1: Fhdc 30, join – 30 sts.
Ch 30, join, ch 1, hdc in each around, join – 30 sts.
Round 2: Ch 1, blo hdcin each around, join – 30 sts.
Round 3: Ch 1, *sk 1, mb in next; repeat from * around, join – 15 mb sts.
Round 4: Ch 1, hdc in each around (in the mb st and ch 1 space from the mb st), join – 30 sts.
Round 5: Ch 1, blo hdcin each around, join – 30 sts.
Round 6: Ch 1, *sk 1, mb in next; repeat from * around, join – 15 mb sts.
Rounds 7-21: Repeat Rounds 4-6.
Round 22: Ch 1, *hdc in next 3, hdc2tog; repeat from * around, join – 24 sts.
Round 23: Ch 1, *blo hdc in next 2, blo hdc2tog; repeat from * around, join – 18 sts.
Round 24: Ch 1, * blo hdc in next, blo hdc2tog; repeat from * around, join – 12 sts.
Round 25: Ch 1, blo hdc in each around, join – 12 sts.
Round 26: Ch 1, * blo hdc in next, 2 blo hdc in next; repeat from * around, join – 18 sts.
Round 27: Ch 1, *blo hdc in next 2, 2 blo hdc in next; repeat from * around, join – 24 sts.
Round 28: Ch 1, *blo hdc in next 3, 2 blo hdc in next; repeat from * around, join – 30 sts.
Rounds 29-50: Repeat Rounds 3-5 ending on a Round 3 repeat.
Fasten off leaving a 24 inch tail for seaming.
With a yarn needle, use the tail to seam the first and last round together. Use the mattress stitch and seam in the round maintaining the tube shape.
Weave in ends.
If you like this warm textured crochet earwarmer then check out these other 2 free patterns that are worked in a tube. They both use bulky weight yarn – Pippin Ear Warmer and the Double Layer Ear Warmer.
Copyright protected. You may not redistribute pattern after purchase or after viewing on my website. You may not publish any part as your own including photos. If sharing online you must link back to this original post. You may sell finished products and if possible, reference back to this pattern and/or give credit to Simply Hooked by Janet as the original designer.